Each individual or company, undivided estate, partnership in fact or other collective entity, whether Peruvian or foreign, regardless its domiciled tax status, upon acquiring taxpayer status or becoming responsible for such taxes as administrated or collected by the SUNAT are to be recorded into the Taxpayer Identification Record-RUC.
The taxpayer or tax withholding agent is identified by the SUNAT assigned 11 digit number which is used to comply with his formal and essential tax liabilities.
A pertinent tax regime is chosen by the companies according to their income amount and organization form out of the following options:
- Single Simplified Tax System for small businesses which selling directly to the final consumer.
- Special Income Tax System āRER for micro business.
- General Income Tax System for all kinds of companies.
The following persons are not bound to be registered with RUC:
- Individuals earning fifth category income only, according income tax regulations.
- Those non-domiciled subject to tax withholding in the country of income source. Also those non-domiciled person whose income payer is also non-domiciled person, so he is not subject to tax withholding in Peru.